View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
katfiche
like a fiche outta water

SM, I'm not familiar with Grudem but then I'm not familar with many works beyond the early 20th century. I'm currently working very hard at arriving at my own conclusions, proving and disproving things along the way. but mostly I find myself proving two differing sides of the same coin. One-sided logic is pervasive in theological circles.

I think the fact a movement garners secular attention shows that it is rooted in the self-empowering. Whether its a matter of giving to get, praying to get, or the "puffing up" of ones pride through the discovery of hidden or secret knowledge, it all comes down to the self. Sir Isaac Newton wrote that prophecy was written to point out the milestones along the journey and not to increase the pride of individuals who would intellectually deduce their hidden meanings. Yet, look how many sects are based upon their eschatological views. Its hardly worth dividing up the Body of Christ arguing about end time events when regardless of what you believe we'll all not be late to the party.

I think you can easily substitute "successful" or "profitable" for your use of the phrase "culturally relevant".

And no need to apologize for defending the Gospel. The lack of any response to the question led me to believe there was probably little interest in things theological here. So my answer was short and without much substance.

-Cf
katfiche is offline   Reply With Quote