View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

I have been going camping since I was about 2 months old. My dad is real big on camping and fishing, so there are at least 6 camping trips a year and at least 12 day trips for fishing. Half the time my dad loads the camper on the truck and the other half the time it is just a tent. Yes the camper is still considered camping, that camper was my grandfathers and doesn't have a bunch of the stuff new campers have. We still have to go to the bathroom out side, and there is no shower. The only thing the camper does is allow for a slightly softer bed. Having been camping so often, I cant remember a time when things went terribly wrong, there have been times where something major went wrong, but it always worked out OK in the end.

On one trip our horse trailer broke it's axle, and we were about 4 hours from any type of civilization. My dad always plans for stuff to go wrong, so he had a tool box and he was able to temporarily fix the axle till we got home.

I remember going for a ride on my dads motorcycle, with my dad, younger sister, and me all on the bike. We got stuck in some quick sand like stuff. We were stuck bad with the wheels buried half way in this sand/gravel mud. We were several miles away from our camp site (and my step mom who was waiting at the camp site). We knew at some point my step mom would get worried but she wouldn't know where to look for us. After a few hours we heard some bikes coming our way and flagged them down. It took 8 guys to pull that bike out of the mud, but we made it back to the camp site just fine.

Kitsune, your talking of an owl reminded me of a camping trip when I was about 8. Sometime in the middle of the night two owls decided to start hooting at each other. The were on opposite sides of our camp ground. So it would be Hoot from the front of the tent, and then 30 seconds later hoot from the back of the tent. This went on for it seemed like an hour. Finally I had had enough of the stupid owls and yelled "Shut Up!!!" My mom started laughing but my grandma decided to lecture me on not yelling in the middle of the night as it might wake up the other campers near by. Right, like the other campers are fast asleep with the stupid hooting owls going on right above everyone. I like owls but not in the middle of the night.