View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

unwanted neighbors

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:02:29 +0400
Subject: Some unwanted neighbors came over last night...wild west Baghdad

Gen Petraeus (4 star running the war here) told us here in the green
zone that we can expect a "Tet offensive" from the insurgents from now up till September when he give his report to congress on what is going on here in Iraq. He also put this out to the media several days ago. Well last night, this morning, it looks like several of the unwanted neighbors came across the river and tried to get in. They were discovered and the fire fight started. It was pretty loud with all of the mortars and heavy machines guns going off. We lost power in the area and my hooch was rocking with all of the gun ships flying out low overhead to get into the "mix" with the unwanted neighbors trying to come over. It lasted for about 45 minutes. The embassy has put out the warning about the high level/threat of kidnapping and being "snatched" in the area. The security level posture has gone up. Some of the people who work at the State Department look at you with discontent like you are ruining there time off with the security levels that are imposed. Not letting them park near building, (car bombs) being sniffed by dogs, (suicide bombers), restricting outdoor activities ("Baghdad Rocket man"going at it).

I was coming back from the palace last night @11:30 pm, (112 degree's) heading back to my hooch and there was this woman getting ready to go for a run. I stopped her and told her that first of all the ambassador, (and the Genera) has put out the instruction that NOBODY is to be outside without body armor and a Kevlar helmet and that the threat of kidnapping/being "snatched" is pretty high. This woman, @ 5' 1", 120 pounds, unarmed, no body armor or helmet, wearing dark clothes getting ready to go out for a run on the perimeter road at night by herself, I told her that she should not be doing this. She told me "It is none of your business" and "I'll do what I want for I work at State". She had a real attitude problem!! I just stood there and could do nothing as she headed of into the night to the perimeter road. Yea, my tax dollars hard at work paying her salary and her bad attitude!!
Well when the fire fight started at 02:30 am I though and hoped that
there was nobody out in that area running!!
That is life in the green zone when you have to deal with some of these State Department people. They just don't think it is real or else it will not happen to them. You got to deal with all kinds when you live in "Wild West Baghdad"

Well I hope everybody is able at the end of your day in America to get outside, (without your body armor, Kevlar helmet and you 9 mm side arm, gas mask) walk around your neighbor hood and see what is going on and talk to neighbors, (without bad attitudes) and enjoy the summer....

Take care

CDR "Downtown Baghdad"
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote