View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Interesting.
But for me, neither art nor protest should disaccommodate people who haven't caused the problem. I'd be quite irritated if I were a street sweeper cleaning that up - yeah thanks mate, more work for those of us at the bottom of the pile.

Now releasing them into the Senate - yes, that would be fun. But they provide their own entertainment in there:

Quote:
Nuccio Cusumano was one of three senators who had defected to the opposition earlier in the week. So convinced was he by Mr Prodi's last stand that he stood to announce he was breaking with his party and returning to the prime minister's side.

His colleagues in the Udeur party set upon him with calls of "traitor" resounding around the chamber.

He was even spat upon and, after collapsing in his seat with the tears welling in his eyes, he was carried out of the hall on a stretcher.

And a similar fate was awaiting the government. While the votes were being counted it looked increasingly bad - in the end they were five short. The final result was 161 votes to the opposition's 156.

Those who support opposition leader Silvio Berlusconi could hardly subdue their glee.

There were cheers around the Senate as some pulled out bottles of champagne, popping corks, much to the disgust of the Senate Speaker and no doubt a good part of the country.