View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
This "shock", which comes only from the chattering classes, is a feature to the majority voters who are unhappy at the state of politics.

The Trump "shock" is loudly announced every day on all channels. It is the reason for his success.
Absolutely. But really, it's a lot of "my heavens and stars!" swooning and fanning oneself. There's "can you believe this?!" ranting, and then there's real, jaw-dropping shock. The point is not why people supported Leave, it's that neither side really thought the Leave camp was going to win, not really. Even the petition demanding a second referendum was originally filed before the vote by a Leave supporter, because he was sure they wouldn't win, but thought they might get close enough to call for a do-over.

And then they won. And then the stock market plummeted, and the UK lost more money within an hour in trade value than they had ever paid to the EU since its inception. That's not "gracious me," that's real shock.

I'm not talking about whether Trump should win, or whether he will. I'm just talking about how real fear has perhaps finally entered into the chattering class's existence, and whether they will turn out to vote in record numbers this year. Actually though, I think your original point that June is ancient history by the time November rolls around is the most salient. No one will remember this by then.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote