View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #1296
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Anathem - Neal Stephenson

This is the kind of book that I really like. You really don't get the whole story until the end. He builds the development of both the characters and the world somewhat slowly, giving you a chance to savor everything. The world is complex, and there are tantilizing hints that draw you through it. Just when you think you've got it figured out, something happens in a not at all contrived way to cause you to shift your impressions. There is a lot of philosophical discussion that goes on amongst the characters, some of which is of the "sufficiently confusing to make your head hurt" variety. I've read other Stephenson, my favorites are his shorter novels, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. Might put those on my to be reread pile.

I'd like to hear from folks who have finished the Baroque Cycle ... should I or shouldn't I? Please, don't drop any spoilers, I'm just looking for a general impression.

Of course, I read this on my Kindle. Love it!! Everyone please buy one so that it remains on the market and they keep supporting the format.

Also have finished The Ezekiel Option - Joel Rosenberg, a political thriller for the Left Behind crowd. I've read the first two books in that series as well. The proselytizing wasn't quite so heavy handed in the earlier novels.

Just started Spook Country - William Gibson

Trying to cram in Elemental Witch by Tammy Sullivan, because I'm thinking of offering it to my student.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote