View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Answer from my bro, multiple-Floridian-holidayer:
Quote:
Blimey - that's a real loaded question! Before I could even start on this, there are a couple of things I'd need to know, because it will dramatically affect the advice I would give.

1) Are they only interested in doing Disney, or do Universal, Seaworld and any of the other attractions locally stand a chance? With us, we go everywhere and anywhere, but I know a lot of people who basically spend their whole holiday with the mouse and won't do anything else.

2) What would be their typical theme park strategy/experience? Do they tackle them commando style (and I don't mean without underwear!), charging from one attraction to the next, trying to get everything they can done; or do they prefer to take their time even if it means missing out on certain things due to a lack of time.

3) On a similar sort of note, are they planning to spend most of their days in the parks, or are they there to relax and might spend every other day relaxing by the pool in the villa or shopping etc.

4) Rollercoaster junkies, or scaredy cats? Obviously with a six year old in tow, I would probably try to steer them to some of the more tame stuff and the kid-friendly attractions (like meeting characters) that I'd normally not bother with, but they might surprise me.

As a warning - there are so many variables in an Orlando holiday (it's a huge place - 8+ theme parks, 4 water parks and so much more entertainment) and everyone's idea of fun is different, so it can be hard to give advice. As I've found out on various Disney message boards, everyone thinks they are right, but most of the time no-one is (mainly because what works for their family ain't necassarily going to be right for someone else). I can try and give general advice, but sometimes it's easier answering specific questions or reading what someone has put as their tentative plan and then making your recommendations on what to change from there.

I will state "The Golden Rule" however: Get to the parks for opening. Actually scratch that - BEFORE opening. So many people turn up from 10/11am onwards - if you've already been in the park for an hour or two by then, you could have done half the big rides with little wait and then you get to watch while they have to queue for ages to get on them and laugh!
He came round today (before I'd had a chance to read his mail) and said he's more than happy to advise if you are willing to provide info as per questions above. Ste is like me - a planner and a pedant. Of course we agreed you might not be arsed about detailed advice, but if he's going to give even general advice, he likes to to get it right