View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #48
Nirvana
Back in 10

Dagney I am not disagreeing with what you do to eat beef. The person feeding out the beef you are eating is still using carbohydrates,[barley, sorghum, wheat, soy bean meal/protein} if your farmer is feeding any of these you will still have marbling. Corn in one form or another is eaten by every living thing on this planet.

A cow does not have 4 stomachs it has one with 4 compartments. As far as corn not being the proper way to feed cows all of the major feedlots feed, along with their corn,> silage , hay or other roughage including grass. A cow cannot survive on corn alone. But some AR activists take this bit of information and make it their mantra "Corn is bad" If you put corn in front of a cow and grass most will go for the corn first. I am sure there is an exception but that is not a rule.

To meet the demand of the consumer is why there are commercial feedlots. The smarter people like you know that beef tastes better when its a local farmer just like local grown veggies taste better.

Marbling is better/proper because it makes the meat tastier and more tender. Excessive marbling is undesirable. The hamburger I eat/raise can be cooked with no excess fat to drain. If some like their steak tough and stringy then pure grass fed is the way to go.

Last edited by Nirvana; 04-22-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: forgot a comma ;), misspelled barley
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote