View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #563
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
If she's a visual learner, good for her. On the other hand, has her hearing been tested? Hearing deficits in kids can escape notice for a long time. If she hasn't had a formal hearing assessment, now is the time. She may hear certain frequencies very well but still have significant loss at speech frequencies. It's also possible that she may have trouble with speech discrimination. Children should have an audiologist test their hearing, to be sure that all relevant tests are done.
Oh yes, she's been tested repeatedly. It's a requirement, first to enter ECI (state-run special needs program for kids under age 3,) then to enter PPCD (public special needs preschool program when they turn 3,) then to be in public school with an IEP. If anything, she's got hyperacusis across the board.

There's a strong possibility, however, that it's not an actual neurological processing problem, but rather an attention problem. She may just be getting impatient listening to the teacher talk more slowly than she'd like, and letting her mind wander. When I read chapter books to her at night, she interrupts me all the time to ask questions about words halfway down the page from where we are. She's really just using me as a lap to sit on while she reads the book herself.

Anyway, it's in the "tad apprehensive" thread because I'm not really worried about it. As long as she's given a textbook, she'll always be fine. But if she gets a teacher who conveys lots of information verbally, it could turn into a problem later on.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote