Thread: Gifts
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My first reaction is to go into an independent toyshop and ask them - but I don't know whether these are prevalent in your area. Independent (proprietor owned) shops usually get feedback from parents and children and so can give you real feedback.

If she usually fiddles with the baby's toys I'd give her something small that uses imaginative play. She may still be interested in real toys and creating her own stories. Something like Sylvanian Families or Polly Pocket - as long as it's complicated, not just a toy figure.

One of the issues I find both working here and with friends/ family is that people assume that children grow up so quickly - and then complain how grown up they are. Girls up to 13 still appreciate small, delicate, intricate toys. And away from everyone else, a 9 year old will definitely role play. If you really think she is worldly wise and will despise these, Barbie is still a safe bet - again, role playing but with the fashion and lifestyle edge. Same with Girl's World (do they still do that? a head you apply make-up to and arrange her hair)

If she's a real people pleaser, give her a wonderful book. She'll read it to please you and you'll have given her a gift for life. I started to really rate books at 10 (as in books I will reread now). Something like Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in Big Woods.

Hope you find something she enjoys.