View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Special Joys of the Holiday Season

There are some events that just really make the holidays right.

With the commercialization of Ramahanukwanzmas, I become less and less interested in dealing with the whole thing.

I love giving (and getting) gifts, but overall, it's having less and less appeal each year, especially since the trees and music seem to be up in stores before Halloween these days.

As I said, though, there are certain things that are just so overfull with wonderfulness that you can't help but smile.

Seeing A Charlie Brown Christmas, along with certain other holiday specials and movies is another.

I can watch A Christmas Story endlessly, and typically do when the turner station runs it for 24 uninterrupted hours. I also have this on DVD.

But today, one of the most special moments occured.

I heard sirens.

But there was a special quality to them ... and was there a scent of gingerbread and peppermint in the air and faint tinkle of bells?? I ran to the front door and threw it open, to find what I had most hoped to see!!

Fire Department Santa!!! Hooray, hoorah.

I waved and cried out gaily, "Hello Santa! Hello Fire Company!" Santa "ho-ho-hoed" and waved back, as did the fireman in bunker gear alongside him.

The only hint of sadness is that this year, as in other years, I was the only person in my court (about 40 units), that so much as bothered to open the door and wave.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote