View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #55
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I think I ended up in fascist territory because I don't support the decriminalization of drug use and generally uphold the rule of law.

I think the test is indeed skewed.

Nah. I'm just foolin'. I really am a fascist.
Don't support the de-criminilization of drug use? That's interesting. By what legitimate authority do you think the government has any say in what drugs, foods, medical procedures, etc. people choose?

The government derives it's limited powers from the consent of the governed. This means that government can have no powers that we as individuals don't have to grant to the government.

As an individual, you have no legitimate authority to tell any other person what foods they can eat, medical procedures they may or may not have, or what drugs they can or can't take. The only thing you can do is prevent people from endangering YOU, but not from endangering themselves.

No matter what claims are made, the truth is if a person merely uses drugs, they are not endangering anyone but themselves. If they use drugs and then get behind the wheel of a car, an airplane, etc. or perform surgery, they actually are endangering others. The crime isn't using the drugs, the crime is endangering others.

If you don't have the legitimate power to tell someone else what drugs they may or may not take (and you don't), you may not grant this power to government; nor may a thousand of you, a million of you, or a hundred million of you. You have zero authority to tell anyone what drugs they may or may not take. Zero times a billion is still zero.

To tell another person what they must or must not do with their own body is to claim that you have more ownership of their body than they do.

"Society" is nothing more than a collection of individuals. "Society" has no rights; only individuals do, and the rights of an individual over their own body, minds, and lives supercedes all else including the collective desires of individuals calling themselves "society" or "government".

In otherwords, the U.S. government has no more authority to tell you whether or not you may take drugs, than you do of telling everyone in America they must use crack cocaine everyday.

Last edited by Radar; 06-23-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote