View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #58
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Good points. Just a point to make about Republicans and Democrats of Yore. The only thing today's Republicans and Democrats have in common with the 1800's Republicans and Democrats is the name of the party. For a while it seemed they'd traded places ideologically, now, I find it rather tough to separate them at all unless I get out my hairsplitter.
We've had Republicans act like Democrats, but in general:

Republicans want:
============
safer, and more controlled borders. We want immigration, but we want LEGAL immigration.

our government to spend only the money that it has, instead of piling up debt, spending money that it doesn't have.

less taxes, and fewer tax loop-holes (U.S. tax code is now 70,000+ pages, and grows ever longer)

less regulation of private business (fanny mae and freddie mac, overseen by Democrats like Barney Frank), caused a huge portion of this housing bust we're now going through. Gov't regulations on bank loans, and allowing derivatives from those notes, also added to the problem.

less subsidies. We still are paying out subsidies to farmers for obsolete programs started before 1940. Paying a farmer NOT to grow on his land is also, generally a bad idea.

require valid ID when you vote - stop voter fraud

require e-verify for a job, to help eliminate easy identity theft, and help prevent illegal immigration.

It's seems our liberal leaders have found a new hate target -- the well off, dare I say "rich".

I'm not sure what the hell they're thinking of, but if you wait for the welfare supported guy or gal to offer you a good paying job, you'll be waiting for a very long time.

Who else is going to be starting up a business? Hiring new employee's? Buying that $40,000 new tractor/combine to harvest the wheat that you'll be eating later?

Think of what it takes to start up a business of any kind. That's not chump change that makes that happen.

* I spent a few years in the Deep South, when integration was still the law of the land (early 50's). I learned all about Democrats, at that time. I did support Clinton for President, because he was experienced at running things (former Governor), and smart (a former Rhodes Scholar).

Not to speak ill of the dead, but compared to John Kennedy, or FDR, Clinton was a marital saint.

Last edited by Adak; 12-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote