Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #831
jinx
Come on, cat.

Just as quite a few clinical alcoholics can and do hold down jobs. Some can't. They have a disease and need medical treatment. The questions are; are opiates more addictive/more destructive than alcohol, which is legal. Would it be more harmful if made legal and more available than it is now*.

I saw a program about China in the 1830's a while back. It made me rethink the whole everything should be legal and it'll work out great idea I was thinking before.
I'm still listening for a good argument though, I just don't think personal anecdote carries much weight. I've quit every drug I've tried/used. Doesn't mean I don't believe that addiction exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *
Poisoning is now the second leading cause of unintentional injury death in the U.S. While several recent high-profile Hollywood celebrity cases have brought the problem to public attention, the rates of unintentional poisoning deaths have been on the rise for more than 15 years, and in fact, unintentional poisoning has surpassed motor vehicle crashes as the leading cause of unintentional injury death among people 35-54 years of age. In a study published in the May issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, researchers found that hospitalizations for poisoning by prescription opioids, sedatives and tranquilizers in the U.S. have increased by 65% from 1999 to 2006.