View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #69
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fresh. I agree with some of what you are saying. Being white in the West is a distinct advantage most of the time. But...that doesn't mean that all white people are advantaged by being white.

To suggest that racism is alive and well in America is not exactly unorthodox. Nor, is it unorthodox to suggest that a person is more, or less likely to experience the world in a particular way depending on their ethnic origin and skin colour.

But...and this is where my understanding of the world veers sharply from yours. Being white, is not in and of itself a protection from bigotry, disadvantage, poverty, exploitation or abuse. The world is not that simple. To suggest that a white skin means you have no understanding of what it is to be subject to those things is, if you'll forgive me, a little naive. To suggest that nobody with white skin knows what it is like to be subject to insulting and degrading stereotypes, is likewise naive.

The points you raise about the hidden, unthought of advantages that being white in America brings are interesting and valid. But the world is more complicated than white -v- ethnic minority.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote