View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

About 20 years ago, my mom took my grandmom up to Montreal for a heart valve replacement. While they were there, finding palatable vegetarian food was a hard thing to do.

After my grandmother was sprung from the hospital, Mom routinely went to the only Indian restaurant in town to get take-out, to bring back to my grandmother who was recuperating in their hotel room. She never had much of an appetite, and the doctors were always exhorting her to eat more to she'd regain a little weight and get healthier.

After the third or fourth day, the proprietress of the restaurant asked her why she kept coming, day after day. Mom explained the situation, and the lady was shocked! "You can't feed her this restaurant food every day! She's trying to get well!"

This woman proceeded to bring in food she cooked for her own family (cooked in a much healthier, lighter, fresher style -- home cooking is very different from restaurant cooking! You didn't think they ate like that all the time, did you?!) for my Mom and grandmom every day, till they were ready to leave Montreal and come back to New Jersey.