Thread: SEPTA Strike
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2001, 12:51 PM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Screw the union?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerebus
As much as I miss SEPTA (i.e., about as much as I miss slush and ice), union-bashing isn't the answer... because management creates the union, through bad hires, worse practices and unreasonable expectations. In every case of a union abusing its power, I can show you management that's a worse grade of human being. (And yes, that most certainly applies to even the most reprehensible laborers on the planet -- i.e., baseball players.)
Unions were a noble idea 100 years ago. And I'm not saying that this situation is completely the union's fault. But...

Dealing with unions today is almost like trying to diffuse a bomb. Every trade has a union, so in some cases, you have many unions (and issues) to deal with. But from what I've seen with the union issues here in Philadelphia over the last 6 months. The company is the strict mother, while the union is the bratty child.

I don't think unions are necessarily needed anymore. The conditions that people work in today are 1000 times better than they were in 1900. (Now, when Verizon workers struck against them, I went with that one. Forced overtime? Pfft!) Truth be told, I don't think non-union drivers would do much worse than union drivers (they'd both suck ;-) ). If anything, a non-union driver has more to lose than a union member (who will cry to his union at the drop of a hat). That non-union might actually be better than a union driver, because there is more at stake.