View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #30
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I know parents can't watch their children every second. <snip> But I would hope most parents would try to instill a "look don't touch" . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Bet that kid learned his lesson though. Tough way to do it. I'm sure he think twice next time.
Having been a parent to two very active and challenging boys for 12 years (and one mellow girl, thank the heavens), and having been the type of parent to take the little ones to museums in an attempt to instill something in them, I have noticed/learned that:

A) Some parents believe in free range parenting. Not only do they loosely watch their children, they don't seem to see anything wrong with touching works of art.

More than once, I have had to physically restrain my dear hubby while children-who-are-old-enough-to-know-better are touching the surface of a painting in a museum.

Although, I must admit it was one of mine that almost knocked that sculpture off its pedestal. You would be amazed how the heart beats while watching a pedestal rock to and fro. My goodness, I've just broken a sweat thinking about it!

B) Not all children connect cause with effect.

I remember touching the surface of the iron because I was curious to see what something felt like that could made fabric so flat and smooth.

After my mother finished bandaging my hand, I touched it with my other hand, because I didn't get how heat could make something flat like that. There must be something I missed the first time.

Yes, I do remember actually thinking like that. Some people did say I was a strange child . . .

The worst part is that my mother hoped I would one day get the children I deserved. See Item A.