View Single Post
Old 05-23-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

First of all, these are not my ideas but Michael Barone's. I just presented them for comment.
I believe he was pointing out the "people" trust the military more than the politicians or corporations not to screw them. I could be wrong in my interpretation.
Quote:
Your little essay which you quoted regarding "hard" versus "soft" left out a teensy little fact. Japan and Europe had no manufacturing infrastructure left after WWII. Everything in those countries was in ruins. The US had a virtual world monopoly on the making and trade of manufactured goods. US companies had no competition internationally and the money poured in.
That's exactly what he said, it wasn't until after 1970 that businesses had to harden up. But I wonder if that was good for the workers or the country.
Quote:
There are a few of us around who remember when gasoline prices suddenly went from around .25 cents a gallon to a $1.00 or more.
Yeah, I remember 17.9 cents. As I understand it, we declined to provide the ever increasing appitite for expensive weapons so they jacked the price of oil to buy there own.

I agree he's full of shit on the tough on crime and welfare correlation. Both are patronizing the frustrated tax payers with feel good legislation that doesn't solve real problems.

I think he's a republican.