Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Actually, had the vote gone our way by the same margin it went their way, they'd have a very good case for a revote in my opinion. I said right from the get go, back when everybody was predicting a remain victory that a referendum with simple majority was a stupid way to decide the fate of the nation and would end up leaving half the country upset and feeling let down, regardless of who wins - I have the same problem with first past the post parliamentary elections too - and have had through left and right victories and defeats.

Unfortunately, we can't have a reasoned debate about Europe in this country. Haven't been able to for decades. Political debate ping pongs between pro-europe and anti-europe propaganda. I think the majority of people in this country who voted in that referendum did so in almost complete ignorance of what they were actually choosing - and I absolutely include myself in that.

I've learned more about Europe and its political and legal structures, how that interacts with our and potential ramifications of this or that trading relationship in the last 2 years than in the 20 years leading up the vote.

I'd like a vote now while we all actually have some kind of a clue about how this shit works. I'd probably still vote to remain, but at least I'd know why I was voting that way.

The biggest search terms on google.co.uk after the brexit vote nwere all variations on 'what is the European union?'.

I actually think if we have another vote it might just go more comprehensively Brexit - if that happened, at the very least the government would have a very strong mandate for it - that would increase confidence at the very least.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote