View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #375
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It is a low threshold. It is the same threshold that, say, Perry and Paul were able to surpass. It is the published rule that everybody who cared about knew about. What galls me, what seriously turns me off about Gingrich is his PATHETIC moaning about the "failed system" has disqualified him. He reminds me of the peasant crying about being oppressed in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Quote:
King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway!
His blaming the system for his own failure, his demonstrated willingness to blame the violence inherent in the system
Quote:
-- Newt Gingrich, who says as president he would ignore U.S. Supreme Court rulings he dislikes, has plenty of company among Republican candidates in vowing to blow up long-held premises of constitutional law. --
fills me with dread. We have co-equal branches of government, buddy. You should know that. And it is the definition of the judicial branch to decide, by using their JUDGEMENT, what the meaning of a law is and how it applies and the constitutionality of a law. Not the President, signing statements be damned.