View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #93
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yes, I read and evaluated a bunch of sources for that post but I worked hard to find the source furthest from Israel possible, as two Dwellars have mentioned they do not trust Israeli sources and I should think there are others who feel that way. Then that source (Time) didn't have the detail that those other sources had. So.

Here is a chart comparing the casualty demographics to the actual demographics of Gaza as of late July. You'll notice that young males are pretty much taking the brunt of it. Look at the age 20-24 category in particular. In that age group, women outnumber men by a ratio of 3 to 1. Yet 90% of the casualties in that age group are men. You will have to decide for yourself whether Dana's explanation for this discrepancy explains it. At the very least, it begs the question of why this would be the case if the IDF was bombing everything.
I read that page too, before I posted in the first place. Here's a link to a clearer graph. It's the source material for the blog post you quoted.

Name:  age-v-gender.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  130.8 KB

But I don't see anywhere that supports your claim that women outnumber men three to one. The data I've seen show the ratio to be practically one to one.

Most of the casualties are in the middle of the age range, but there's plenty of spillover into either end. If the bombs and guns and missiles used by Israel are .......

Let me restart.

I think it's clear from the body count on the Gazan side that Israel isn't being too careful who they hit--whatever the reason may be, sloppy, careless, accidental, aggressive, indiscriminate or intentional--whatever. There is no acceptable reason for 109 kids under the age of 10 to be killed. That makes me sick. That makes me sad.