View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
glatt

Somebody may have had their email address book compromised.

Either you, or your neighbor, or a 3rd party who knows both of you. Or maybe you are both on some other neighborhood mailing list and that list was shared publicly. There are lots of different ways it can happen.

I organize blood drives at my church. My name and email address has appeared in the church bulletin so you can reach me to sign up for the drives. Every so often, I get an email from the priest, but from a fake account that doesn't belong to the priest. It's somebody who looks online at church bulletins, and makes note of all the email addresses they can find, and then looks up the name of the priest at that church, and then creates a dummy email account based on the priest's name, and then emails those people whose email they have harvested. It's a lot of work, but if you can find a little old lady who isn't too sophisticated, and convince her that the trustworthy priest is emailing her personally about making a donation to a trusted charity, you might be able to get a couple grand from members of each congregation before everyone at that church figures out what's going on.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote