View Single Post
Old 05-23-2001, 06:11 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Another company that deserves HATE

Most Philly readers have seen the building adjacent to the PA Turnpike in the Fort Washington Industrial Park - located just east of CD-Now. That was Beechnut. They intentionally sold baby formula overseas that was only powder - no nutrition. But Consumers Reports then told the story of apple juice.

A Beechnut senoir researcher had determined that a Brooklyn supplier of this apple juice was only filling with colored sugar water. It is difficult to chemically differentiate between both. This researcher went to corporate officers who said they would look into it. Nothing happened. But at a corporate social function, the researcher overheard some corporate officers joking how they were making big profits by selling sugar water as apple juice for babies.

The researcher went to the FDA that determined that was exactly what Beechnut was doing. It is detailed in a Consumer Report article - was that well known. How many here know the story? Joan Lunden remained a spokesperson for this company?

Public image, not the facts, are what determine a corporate image when too many people read fiction. In a society that was concerned for public safety - instead of hype - Beechnut products would have been avoided by all. Gerber, BTW, has a long reputation as being a responsible company.

The Beechnut company no longer is HQed in Fort Washington PA. The building eventually was stripped all the way down to its I-beams - and rebuilt. But again - Beechnut would be bankrupt if people - especially young mothers - would learn facts and ignore hype.

Having said all that, I grew up from income based upon that hype. My father was a copyrighter who did many of those hypes. Crest toothpaste and the 40% fewer cavities - a teammate and close friend was featured in those commercials. After quiting, one day he noted the FTA took the fun out of the business - they required that commercials tell the truth. Well.... yeah - half truths.