View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Significant facts are missing. First, is this an AFGI in the breaker box or one in a wall receptacle?
In the breaker box. (This is, I believe, currently required by code for bedrooms as of a few years ago. Though clearly I am not an expert.)

Quote:
Second, if the red wire is capped, then how do you control the fan? Does the fan and light both get powered simultaneously by the remote control?
They are both controlled by the remote control. However, they have (sort of) independent power inputs. Although there's only one hot lead going into the remote control receiver (from the wall switch), there are separate hot leads going out to the fan and light fixture respectively. The remote control receiver will operate both separately, so you can dim or power off the light independent from the fan and vice versa.

I took the switch apart and discovered that the red lead only goes from the wall switch to the fan--it is not a separate hot lead as I had mistakenly thought, and the wiring from the switch back to the breaker box is 2-wire and not 3-wire. So I disconnected the red lead from the pigtail off the wall switch and capped it off. We'll see.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote