View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #84
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
AudioGalaxy was a music site that went belly up. We took in some cast-aways.
AudioGalaxy was down, temporarily. AudioGalaxy had been a community-based file-trading site. You could meet people and discuss music on hundreds of message boards, or join private groups. The music was queued up through the website, but the actual file transfer took place via a separate, small-footprint application.

Somewhere around five years ago, AudioGalaxy was sued by the RIAA. The file-trading stopped, but the community carried on. The owner, Michael, moved on to other commercial projects, but he kept the domain, and kept the site reasonably maintained. He wasn't hovering around, however, to instantly remedy every server hiccup.

To this day, Michael maintains the AudioGalaxy website (for, as best as we can figure, sentimental value). To this day, there are still active message boards on AudioGalaxy.

When AudioGalaxy went down last year, SteveBsjb sent me a link to The Cellar. We launched ourselves on this board in full attention-whore mode. Which I now regret, because the backlash drove away some of the other AGers that came along with us.

Whatever the back-story is; I'm happy to be here. Mr. Undertoad is performing a great service to human culture, by allowing our unhindered meanderings to occupy this little corner of the world. One thing I still find surprising about the Cellar is that whatever you are discussing finds its way onto the first page of Google hits. For instance, Google: syncopation + "beat displacement" ...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote