View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #56
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I know very little of the details in this particular case. But I do know at least two economically poorer families that are using the grandparents' house in this neighborhood as their "primary address" in order to get their kids into our high-quality school. As a parent, I can't possibly fault them for doing what's best for their kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Not exactly. The districts budget based on reported number of school aged children. Her district was expecting those kids, so it levied taxes based on those children being there. They already had the money, paid for by all the other residents of the district. In effect wasting their hard earned money on higher than necessary taxes. This puts the hurt on the residents who pay for "ghost students".
That logic only works for the first year they're in the "wrong" school. After that, the new school is expecting them, since they had them the year before, and the old school is no longer accounting for them. As far as everyone is concerned, on paper they do actually live at the grandparents' house.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote