View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #591
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yeah, I was on my high horse last night.
I support the right of every woman to choose for herself.
I'm conflicted over the rights of the father, so best not to go there!

Not having children I can't imagine the immediate bond after a baby is born, and how an unplanned pregnancy can become a source of love and joy. I think in terms of unwanted. This is obviously not always the case. I was unplanned, as was my neice.

A complete aside, but what you wrote reminded me, Clod.
I had a friend at school who had racist parents. Openly, old-school racists who thought the Blacks and the Pakis were ruining this country. My friend said she would never even date a black man, not because she was racist but because it wouldn't be fair. Why? Because if you start dating you might get serious. If you got serious you would get married and then have a child (this was the 80s - we still thought in that order).

As far as she was concerned there was nothing crueller than having a mixed race/ dual heritage child. They would be neither black nor white and could never fit in anywhere. That really shocked me.

Fast forward 15 years and she was in an intense relationship with a music producer. Black. I reminded her of the conversation and she flat out denied it. Puzzled, I pushed a bit and she got extermely defensive. I backed off. Okay. I thought she'd shrug it off like your friend, admit her views had changed.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote