View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #28
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The problem isn't that 'dangerous' breeds are more likely to attack. The problem is in the nature of the attack if it does occur. A westie is probably just as likely to snap and go for a kiddie (I believe there was a case where a westie damn near took a baby's face off) which is why kids should never be left alone with dogs, regardless of the breed. The problem with the so-caled 'dangerous' dogs, is that on the occassions when attacks occur, whether because of mental instability or poor training, some dogs simply do more damage than others. Dogs bred for fighting, such as American Pit Bulls, or Japanese Akitas, once they attack are more likely to kill.

Any dog can snap. Any breed can be a problem. Any breed of dog has examples of, well trained dogs and likewise examples of poorly trained dogs. The chances of a dog snapping are increased if the owner has raised it improperly. That said, even well trained and beautifully raised dogs have the capacity to snap in an instant. How many times have we heard the line "but it was a beautiful family dog."?

I recall once reading about a Springer Spaniel who, after 9 years of being the beloved family pet, snapped and tore half the youngest child's face off. Why? Because it was prematurely senile. The little girl had stuck her face into the dogs for a cuddle and kiss and the dog responded instictively in a way it had never done before.

The stuff in the press is unhelpful. It suggests that there are 'safe' breeds of dog. There is no such thing as an entirely safe, entirely trustworthy dog. Some breeds, however, when they attack, do so swiftly and without follow through: i.e, they bite. Others, if they attack, do so with totality, not stopping until they have killed the one they're attacking: usually these are breeds who have been bred specifically to fight. Usually, not always.

I would no more trust a child alone with my bearded collie dog, than I would with a Rottweiler or an Akita.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote