View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Speed limits are not just pointless bureauocracy by The Man to curtail freedom. They save lives.
While I do agree with you on this, they're not the only factor. A bit of common sense would be good on the part of everybody (either drivers or pedestrians).

As a driver, my worst fear nearly became reality a few years ago. In France, inside a city, speed limit is 50 km/h or less in specific places. That day I came to a stop at a traffic light in Paris. Light becomes green, ok. I begin driving down the street, accelerating just enough to go maybe up to 40 km/h. I notice a young woman that climb down the curb between two parked cars to cross the street. She's NOT at a crosswalk. There is one at both ends of the street. In my mind, she's going to wait until it is possible to cross. Then I noticed that her arms are not in a normal position, they're extended in front of her.

That's a fucking stroller with a baby inside. Of course, I did slam the brakes. I stopped a mere inch from the toddler. Yet, I was the one to be labelled a killer.

In most people minds, you're the driver therefore you are the evil one.

Had I hurt that baby, I would probably have ended in prison. Yet, I wasn't the guilty one.