View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
The whole concept of "self-guided penis" is heterophobic and misandric; that men are violent ravishing beasts upon the mere sight of flesh doesn't demonize women it demonizes men and male sexuality.
I think most would view it as demonizing women because the "blame" lies with her -- if only she would cover herself up, the poor man wouldn't be driven to madness. I agree though that it is an oversimplification that gives no credit to humans as a whole. We need to change how victims of abuse are treated. Period. Regardless of gender, age, sexuality. I think the mentality that you're speaking of, tora, that men can't possibly be victims at the hands if women, is the flip side of the same coin, and both sides are trying to boil down gender roles to some black and white standard.

It's interesting to me that, in order to try to cope with some of the ugly realities of our lives, of the pain we inflict on each other, of the troubles our societies have wrought purposefully or by accident, we conflate different problems and simplify causal relationships.

"Rape happens because the woman invites it" for example, being a gross reduction of a complicated web of gender roles, views of sexuality (both male and female), psychological manipulation, and misunderstood scientific fact (like the infamous "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.")

It brings to mind the view that some have that "the poor are poor because they're lazy," which ignores matters of access to opportunity, support for education, generational poverty, racism, etc.

As if big problems could have such simple answers.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote