View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My theory on why time flies is this:

As we get older, our attention spans increase. We become more accustomed to long periods of time going by without anything interesting happening, and (thanks to the wonderful world of work) are placed in such situations more often than when we were kids.

All of a sudden, the summer's over, and we think "How can it be fall already? It seems like Memorial Day was just yesterday." That's because we've done things that are useful to us, but often not all that much that's out of our daily routine.

Compare this to the kid who's been a little ball of energy over that period; to him, the summer vacation lasts forever (though it's still not long enough when it's time to go back to school), because he's been doing one thing after another after another during those months (and if he ISN'T occupied, he's squirming in his seat, ready to bolt off to something that _is_ interesting).

Signs of aging: My cousins have a Sega Dreamcast, and I (their decrepit gaming uncle) offered to put together an Atari 2600 emulator disc for it. They'd never _heard_ of the 2600.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote