View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fresh, m'dear: I think you may find that your average white woman knows a thing or to about prejudice.

I don't know wha tthe pay gap is in the States, but in the UK there is a 17% differential between male and female wages. The average woman can expect to earn 17% less than her average male counterpart, across her lifetime.

You have mentioned many times that we are generally a bunch of oldies on here who don't really understand what it's like to be young...in that case, use your own logic and consider that many of the female dwellars grew up in a world that was a great deal more sexist than it is now. There will be women on this forum (I am sure) who experienced the unfairness of having to help in the house with mum, whilst their brothers didn't have to. There may even be women in the Cellar whose educational options were vastly reduced purely because they were female, and whose brothers were expected to be the ones who would go off and get educated and be a success in life.

Being white is one of a series of advantages that you can be born with in America. Being wealthy is another, being healthy likewise. You are more likely to be born wealthy if you are white than if you are black.....but being white does not guarantee you won't be poor. Do you think poor people are not discriminated against? Looked down on? Called horrible names? (White Trash in the states , chavs in the UK) treated as if they are somehow unclean? How many well to do families would be pleased if their child came home with a boyfriend/girlfriend from a trailer park?

You make many assumptions about what people here have, or have not, experienced.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote