Thread: Spare the Rod?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Having said that, the reporting on this story is the normal hyperbole, which xoB points out and repeats. The t-shirt is a red herring, a loud, difficult to ignore non-issue. In my understanding, beating a kid with a belt so that:

That's NOT one of the tools in the parents' toolbox that promotes success in school. That's the reason she was arrested, not because of the (funny and sad) t-shirt.
I'm betting it was the shirt that caused the school to call the cops. Although without the shirt it would be a non-story, I'm pretty certain that's not an arrest-able offence. I don't believe the paper, nor I, even hinted it was, as the possibility never occurred to me. It seems to be only your red herring.

Not in the parent's toolbox? Says who, the army of people hustling books on how they think the world should work? I'll bet they can be quite passionate when their income depends on it. Isn't that the root of the disagreement between the schools of child rearing? Corporal punishment, and if so, how much?
Arresting a parent and holding them without bond, for corporal punishment when there was no injury, is ridiculous. There has to be more to it, she obviously pissed off the cops.