View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
We used to take packed lunches and stop at picnic stops when we hired a car to go camping for our holiday.
When we settled on a particular location and went back year on year, we always stopped in the same place.
Just before the picnic area, which did include a "food-wagon" aka salmonella on wheels, there was a diner. I wanted to go there SO MUCH. In the whiny way that children always want what they can't have.

As an adult, making the same journey, I ate there. It changed hands over the years and may have been part of a chain; it was on the main route from London to Norfolk at the time.
It was bloody awful. Dirty, poorly staffed and the food was haphazard, "Cod and chips? No? Anyone order cod and chips? Anyone?"

Sorry to sound all glurge-y ("poor is best" etc) but on that particular journey I looked back longingly on my Mum's home-made corned beef and pickle rolls, Tunnock's Teacakes and a sip of tea from the Thermos.

One of the joys I look forward to when I make my trip across America - which better happen soon with my health - is local food. I'd be devastated to find it was all the same chains we have in the UK. I happen to know Merkins can and do cook. And do it far better than me. Yes, I'm talking Dwellars. But I'd love to belly up to the counter in a local diner and get well fed.
I think I know where you mean. It was near Mildenhall and a quick scan of Street View shows it to have been redeveloped and turned into a McDonald's.
Now, who'd have thought it?