View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #107
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You know what? I'm not really evading that question at all. To show you what I mean, I'll answer it.

WHAT WOULD I DO IF MY HOME WAS CONFISCATED.

If my home was confiscated, I'd be really, really steaming mad.

I'd start by bringing my grievances to the governments involved, the local government and the federal government. I'd both question the legitimacy of the UN and demand to speak to the UN to try to reverse the situation. I would use every bit of power I could find. Up to, and not including, taking up arms to kill people.

I'd ask Jacquelita if I could move in with her. If her house was confiscated, I'd suggest that we move to our mom's houses, if our moms were agreeable. If that didn't fly, I'd call my friends in California and ask if we could hang for a while until we got jobs.

After a while, the reality of moving on with my life would overwhelm the anger at being uprooted. I would get a job, get productive. I'd watch comedies. I would still work to affect the politics that led to the situation, which is to say I would try to end the UN, and ask for some level of reparations from the new owner. I would still try to use every bit of power I could find. Up to, and not including, taking up arms to kill people.

After a number of years, I would simply try to make the most of my life, because it makes no sense to harbor such anger. If I had children, I would tell them that those people took our house, which made life tough for a while; but I would also tell them that a lingering, resentful anger is unproductive. I'd tell them that it is far more important to bring about a culture of respect for property and people. And that to bring about such a culture is the ultimate revenge and the sensible response to what has happened.

In teaching my children, I would point to the highest moral examples, such as Gandhi, and if I were Christian I'd use the example of Jesus, to show how sometimes there is a greater value in turning the other cheek to our adversaries.

Now, the question right back at you. I've answered, so you please answer. What would YOU do if your home was confiscated?

Would you kill the confiscators?

Would you kill their grandchildren?

"...and that's why international terrorism is justified." Now you see how I came to that reply.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote