Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #434
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Bad news:
It is a contingent offer. It is contingent on me being granted a security clearance. This is beyond my direct control, even beyond the direct control of the employer as they don't issue security clearances.

I have never had a contingent offer (nor a security clearance). The employer says that the offer stands for six months, that they are suspending the search, that they want *me* and are willing to wait on the government (for up to six months) to get me. The employer indicated to me that they understand that I still need to work in the meantime and there are no restrictions on me during the six month "life" of the offer. The recruiter said I can take any kind of work in the meantime and when the government issues the clearance, or an interim clearance, they'll tell me (though I think I'd be informed by the government directly as well) and I can choose to accept this offer at that time....
Perhaps I can give this some additional perspective:

The process you're awaiting is what everyone who's ever joined the military has gone through.

The authority for granting a security clearance descends from the POTUS. Career civil servants carry out that process for him and he'll never know you exist.

A security clearance is a privilege … not a right. There's no disputing the final determination; so, the government doesn't generally contact an individual directly regarding the outcome.

They'll do (maybe already have done) an instant background check for criminal convictions and psychiatric adjudications much like is done for purchasing firearms. Passing that gets you an interim security clearance.

Then they'll do a detailed background check for indicators. It's a more in-depth risk assessment in which they'll look at arrests without convictions. They may interview those you've listed as references and neighbors. They're looking to see if anything comes up that you could be blackmailed for (are you a peeping Tom; or, running an unlicensed lemonade stand?) and aren't particularly interested in people's opinions of you.

Not previously having held a security clearance only affects the waiting time. Updates are faster and there will be periodic updates. After you leave a position that requires a security clearance, it automatically gets downgraded to an inactive status. Going to another such position will only require an update and the waiting time will be shorter for reactivation.

You can lose a security clearance for anything that might've kept you from getting one in the first place (e.g. get a DUI and you can lose your job, even if you aren't convicted).

Taking another job before a security clearance is granted won't affect your eligibility for one. The investigation process will; however, stop and you'll have to start from scratch next time.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote