View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #93
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
..."Around you" being the key. After Katrina, I donated to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund. I am not "around" New Orleans. I could not go to New Orleans to help, or to take a car load of supplies. I did not know anyone in New Orleans to send a check to. How would I help them, using your philosophy?
Please answer my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
...OR

- Anonymous government employees watch over the removal of a fifth of my paycheck. They take what they need, then send you a check for the amount you qualify for. We never meet, but I assume that because a huge chunk of my earnings was taken from me for your assistance, you are surely being helped.
First of all, I don't think all 20% taken from your check goes toward helping those in need.
Can you or I provide the same services that a full-time, well-trained social worker can? Can you or I identify mental illness, refer the person in need to a qualified care giver? Do you or I have the backing and buying power of the government? IMO, a professional will do a better job than you or I would be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
We also live in a world where people will do anything to get by on nothing. ....
I don't get that. What sane person says "yeah, $800 a month - this is the life!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
We knew that "a manageable portion of their wealth/income" was code for full-blown fucking Marxism, but we were surprised that the code fell away so quickly.
How much is enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes. By giving them just enough to get by, but not enough to get out, they perpetuated the ghettos.
Could it be that entry-level jobs don't give enough of an improved quality of life, over welfare subsustence, to make it worth getting a job? I've read where people get a job, and have a lower standard of living than when they were on welfare. When employed, they have to pay for health insurance, childcare, transportation, maybe better clothing, etc. Perhaps the increase in minimum wage will widen this gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
She'd have to move to Nevada for that to work.
Yeah - TYPICALLY, it's the folks who want to do away with welfare that also don't want to leagalize cock sucking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
So if the dude ran off an bought a dime bag from somebody or a fifth of MD 20/20 wine how did you just help him? further his addiction of feed his belly? That is why such actions are quite fruitless. ...
And if bought some wholesome, organic, nutritious food, the actions would be fruitful. If you can predict the fruitful vs fruitless, maybe you could help out there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
...if you want something bad enough to work for it, you can achieve it. if you can't it is because you didn't want it bad enough. end of story.
I want so bad to run a two minute mile, be King of the World, be 7 feet tall, and I'm working on it real hard. How hard do I have to work?