Thread: WTF News
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #377
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yes, people get offended by ridiculous things. But they also get offended by stuff that isn't ridiculous. Tell you the stuff that does offend me, is the anti-poor rhetoric. But that isn't specific to Clarkson, it's a pervasive thing at the moment. I am generally offended by the idea that people in a position of social power feel comfortable in making other people with much less social power the butts of their jokes. It's not really specifically racist, or bigotted humour that worries me, it's the general tone of the stronger in society mocking the weaker and then expecting the weaker to suck it up and have a sense of humour about these things. It's comedy from an unkind place. I don't like it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, because it feels wrong. At a gut level. Not offensive, but just wrong.

I personally am rarely offended by Clarkson. And I think the outcry that regularly goes up when he, as you say, crosses a line is fucking ridiculous. Why? because he's Jeremy fucking Clarkson, that's why. We all know what and who he is. The people who employ him know what and who he is, that's why they employ him. And in fairness to him, the lines he crosses are a damn sight less objectionable than some of what was considered mainstream acceptable a few years ago.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote