View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #108
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Fuck.

I have a new project, one I'm not going to be able to ignore. SonofV noticed smoke coming out of the dashboard vents yesterday. Hm.. what does it smell like? Turns out, not like smoke. Like coolant. When we got home to check the coolant level because the temp light was blinking, it was low. Not super hot, I have a gauge and it was in the OK range. But the reservoir was empty (this coolant is expensive, like $20 a gallon). Not only that, but I noticed it was dripping coolant on my right foot.

I've had failed heater cores before, they suck. They pump your car full of coolant steam making the insides of the glass covered with slimy fog. I depend on my heater, it does get cold enough here to justify one so bypassing it isn't really an option. I'm going to have to replace it.

Replacing the heater core is simple, but extensive. It's about the first thing installed on the car frame after the motor. Consequently, everything after that, like the dashboard, the console, the steering wheel, the fan motors, etc etc etc. all have to come off to get to it. Once that's done, it's easy. Two hoses off, two hoses on, seal the box with rtv, and then the dreaded "reverse procedure". It's not hard just tedious as fuck all. Pictures and profanity to come.