View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #70
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I believe I addressed that in the second sentence.
Well, I believe I addressed this in post #54:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I haven't met my quota for scathing remarks this morning.
Plus, I was addressing the perfect shuffle thing, because it had been mentioned once before. And, 52!+1 ... ha! That's funny.

The interesting thing is that you really must get a match eventually, it's just that we don't have that kind of time. It reminds me of the idea that, given the universe is infinite in size, you can calculate how far you would have to go before you encounter an identical Earth, down to the last atom. Think about that.

By the way, what happened here is that my dad mentioned that the same card shuffle has never happened, and it bothered me. A few weeks later I asked him, did he mean one person has never had the same shuffle in their life? And he said, no, nobody. Ever. It's hard to believe, but we got out some scratch paper and a calculator and started pecking away at it. I'll be damned if I'm not completely convinced. I don't think it's possible that any given shuffle has ever repeated. So, lookout, you can thank my dad for this thread.

I really don't want to have to get out my statistics textbook, but...
I'm curious to know how many permutations it would take to have a 1% chance of repeating a shuffle.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 02-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote