View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The ones I really hate...? There are several. There're a few recent airline ads thathave really pissed me off bigstyle.

Here we are in 20 fucking 12, and they're still promoting the image of male pilots, and female support staff. Really ticks me off.

This one, I'd quite like if it wasn;t for the gender politics. It's tongue in cheek and playing on that whole Madmen, PanAm retro chic. But it fits so well with the way these ads usually work, that it just adds to the noise. Any little girl growing up seeing these ads would think that flying a plane is a Man's Job. And the girls are there to offer comfort and beauty to tired male passengers.

This one pisses me off even more.

Because yeah....it's only the men who ploughed that furrow right? Only the male aviators aye? It was never just the men. From very early on t he history of aviation there were women too. Not many, granted but they were there. But as far as this advert is concerned, the whole deal was a male only enterprise. And now, in the modern era.....and fuck all has changed.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote