View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
rkzenrage

Quote:
SYDNEY (AFP) - World-renowned "crocodile hunter" and television environmentalist Steve Irwin has died following a stingray attack in northeastern Australia, local government sources said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin, 44, known for his enthusiastic approach to even the deadliest of wildlife, was killed when a stingray barb punctured his chest during the filming and underwater documentary, the sources quoted by the Australian Associated Press said.

The larger-than-life Irwin, dubbed "The Crocodile Hunter" after the nature documentary series he hosted, was filming off the coast of Port Douglas in the state of Queensland when the accident took place.

I feel terrible for his family and loved ones, but he did this himself and has been taunting this for a long time.
As someone who has worked with dangerous & exotic animals, both large and small, for most of my life, he is reckless, irresponsible and boring (it was for television).
The reason for his "campaign" was to educate, but all he showed was animals going "oh shit, I'm being fucked with!" instead of just leaving them alone when he had great shots of them in their natural habitats.
I understand having to pull a python out of it's lair, but when you have a chameleon on a stick stalking a bug, leave it, let us watch it hunt... grabbing it and putting it on your hat it NOT educational. Endangering yourself with deadly snakes is NOT educational, showing us what they do in their natural habitat is, unless you are relocating them like Brady Barr...
Again, this is a tragedy for his family and friends and I do send loving and healing energy to them all.
I am very sorry for the painful death he suffered, but this was a long time coming and I hope that it helps to elevate the level of naturalist television.