View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Cellar Anniversary Thread

Tomorrow night will mark nine years since I stumbled upon The Cellar. I am able to ascertain this with certainty, because Selene and I had made a mutual agreement to stay in that NYE, so that we'd be well prepared for our NYD open house, and I was bored and looking to reach out to a larger world online. Recalling that evening, I searched here on The Cellar for "New Year", I managed to find what I remember as my first post here.

For some reason, on that cloistered New Year's Eve, it struck me that there *had* to be some sort of online community that wasn't an AOL chat room...something that wasn't an IRC channel...*something*...well...like The Cellar. So I did a Google search, and within a few clicks...I found what I'd been seeking, and started my first thread.

That NYD open house may have been the first such event we'd ever had...and over the intervening years, it became something of a party in and of itself. The format never changed...we made a big pot of black eyed peas with chunked ham, and a big pot of chili. People would come by, and we'd chat, play games, watch movies, and generally hang in varying degrees of hangover from the night before.

January 1, 2012 will feature yet another open house...but I won't be a part of it. Selene will have it in her apartment, and Leslie and I will find something else to do, and other people to do it with. Selene has been encouraging me to make the pot of chili, as I always have, and attend her version of the continuing tradition that we established together. I'd probably do it...except Leslie isn't quite done with being pissed about how Selene did things, about how trashed the house was and still is, and about how hard she, Leslie, has worked to get it mostly cleared out and cleaned up in the wake of the hasty, clandestine exit Selene made, and my subsequent moving in here with her. I understand why she doesn't want to make nice, and if I had any pride, I wouldn't want to either. In the end, we won't go.

I will miss the NYD tradition that Selene and I started, and which she will now carry forth without me. No matter how you slice it, now matter how logical the end of a relationship is, some shit just hurts. This shit does hurt. I'll get over it, and probably in no small measure because I'm a member of this community, absent though I've been these past couple of years. My one New Year resolution is to be here more, because you people are fucking awesome.

Tomorrow night is my anniversary with all of you...thanks - for nine great years of friendship, sharing and support. Thanks for listening to me whine, for letting me wax varying degrees of drunken eloquence. I'm pretty sure that the relationship I have with all of you will last longer than the one I'm now leaving.

So...how about keeping this thread going? I'd love to know what *your* first post was here. Find it, and share?

Last edited by Elspode; 12-31-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote