View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 01:18 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Postcard Thank You Note: not usually. But if it's a VERY distinctive postcard of your new town, maybe. Guys can get away with this one better than chicks. Men are not expected to know the rules, and CAN get away with this. Sticking with the traditional folded-card style thank you is safest.

Contaminated Plastic Measuring Cup: it's a cheap plastic measuring cup. Toss it. Go out and buy good pyrex.

Expired Eggs: are still good after the expiration date. If you are not sure, crack one, but be prepared to deal with the consequences. if the yolk is EXTREMELY wrinkly, or the egg smells bad, discard. Otherwise cook it up.

Eggs left out on the counter is a very touchy subject. Once upon a time, eggs were not refrigerated. In fact (I saw the same icky TV show lumberjim did, apparently) many eggs are not refrigerated during transport and storage before arrival at your supermarket. Personally, I wouldn't eat unrefrigerated eggs, but if someone wants to give it a try and report back ...

Also, be aware of the difference between a "sell by" date and a "use by" date. "Use by" is an expiration date. If the item is NOT used by that time, it's often safer to throw it away. A "sell by" date is a date after which the store has to discard something, but is still viable for use. Many dairy products (milk and cheese particularly) have a "sell by" date. Cheese is open dated. If stored properly, it can be used WELL after this date (when it turns a different color, it's gone bad). Milk probably shouldn't be kept around much more than a week after the "sell by" date. I have been looking for a table somewhere that would tell me how long it's good based on the temp. it's stored at, but I have been unsuccessful in this quest. If anyone has this table, PLEASE post it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote