View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 14, 2010: Thai Street Sundaes

Evidently Thailand has a lot of food vendors on the streets, so you would expect to find a big variety.
The best way to success in a crowded market is to come up with a new wrinkle, something different.

How about an ice cream sundae on a hot dog bun?

Quote:
Coconut-based sweets and desserts are quite popular in Thailand and can be found everywhere. The frozen coconut treats, served in a small cup, are typically made from coconut milk or coconut juice (a little lighter and less creamy) and topped with fruit. But on this recent trip to Bangkok, I saw this hot dog bun version in not one, not two, but in three different places!
Of course you have a choice of toppings.

Quote:
The dessert was delicious: the bananas were chewy, the pineapple sweet and tart, the coconut ice cream rich, cold, and creamy, and the peanuts added the perfect amount of crunch and toasted flavor and the drop of milk brought all of the flavors together.
The bun? It got soggy pretty quickly (as I suspected) and if I ate it any slower, we would have had a real mess on our hands.
I kept thinking that it would have been interesting with a toasted bun.
But it was a nice take on a portable sundae, minus the paper or plastic cup to throw out at the end! I kept thinking that it would have been interesting with a toasted bun. (But that might be too much to ask for street food.)
Spread peanut butter on the bun first, that'll water milk proof it.

link

via