View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #19
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

We've been desentized to the world's violence. It's no wonder that it's difficult to have true sadness or anger over things that don't "hit home". That's one of the reasons 9/11 was such a shock. We're used to "Ten people were killed in the West Bank today". Even "311 people were killed on an airliner went it crashed in Germany". It invokes, "Aw, man, that SUCKS. Turn it to Fox. The Simpsons are on."

Then we saw scenes of AMERICA being blown up. People jumping out of buildings dozens of stories up. This was New York, Man, they used us against us. It was now real.

And I daresay, even in the Western half of the Country (I was in Vegas at the time), it still didn't feel real. It felt like another movie by the makers of Armageddon. "Man, this is an awful long, trailer. They must be promoting this one heavy. And look...they got CNN to help em out."

I haven't been to the site, and I don't think I want to go. I'm sensitive to (I'm not sure what to call it so I'll say) places of tragic events, and I hate to see what happens if I go. I'm sure it won't be pretty.

But back on topic, it hit me more when Diana died than hearing 10 bombs went off on a train and killed however many people.

And it doesn't make me "insensitive" to be that way.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote