View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Re: Superbowl halftime show

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58
Anybody else think that was pure garbage? Who exactly is the target audience these days?
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was repulsed and disgusted by the halftime show, and am of a mind to send a very strong letter to CBS condemning what they did.

I mean, they gave prime-time network TV time to _Justin Fucking Timberlake._ Have they no STANDARDS? Was Buster Poindexter booked elsewhere? They couldn't get Wilson Phillips to reunite for one night? Molly Hatchet turned them down? Zamfir couldn't find his pan flute?

Last year's wasn't too bad. Yeah, it had Shania Twain dressed like Geena Davis in "Transylvania 6-5000" and blatantly flubbing her lip-syncing, but No Doubt played live, and Sting had someone whack him on the head hard enough for him to remember "Ah! I was in The Police once" for ten minutes.

I didn't see Janet's unveiling; my wife and I were out at Ruby Tuesday's for dinner, and by the time that they'd trotted out Janet (which got a "wait -- is this 1989?" from me), P.Diddy, Nelly AND Kid Rock, we were putting on our coats and heading for the door with a hearty "this sucks." Adding Captain N'Suck to the Cavalcade of Crap would not have helped my mood.

As for the breast, big deal. It was as much of a premeditated publicity stunt as Madonna's Britney smooch, and for the same reasons: "Hey, I used to be able to attract fans with my MUSIC, but that was a while ago, so HEY! LOOK! SEXUAL IMAGERY!"
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote