Thread: Armed America
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #154
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I dont (and won't) have a gun, so I'm not worried about someone taking it away. But someone without a gun isn't going to be very likely to shoot me, either...Beats me.
Yes, "beats you" might very well be what happens. I understand from a friend with first-hand expereince that gender-variant people are not well-tolerated in Korean culture.

You say you "don't (and won't) have a gun"...I was wondering if your government would even let you have one. If not, your desires in this issue are rather moot.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nati...2331911990.htm

Apparently according to this article, it's actually possible for a private South Korean citizen to have a gun, assuming he pays off....I mean...*convinces* the cops he can see, isn't crazy and doesn't have a criminal record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Times
If one wants to buy a gun, the shop sends the item to the police station. The buyer goes under thorough examination, such as eye examination, mental check, criminal record check, and must answer other questions. After the potential buyer’s records are cleared, the police hands the item to the buyer.
But the example you cite of the mugger and the reasonable, sane person isn't "another issue", it's exactly the issue you should be concered with. The mugger is particularly dangerous to you as long as he is better armed than you are. The reasonable sane person might concievably come to your aid if you're attacked by the mugger.

Of course, if the government has disarmed the sane person, and not the mugger, you probably can't expect much help.

I'm always amazed by the people who seem totally bemused and comforted by the fact by the fact that "if there were no guns they couldn't be shot", when it seems quite clear to me that there has never have been "no guns" since the moment guns were invented, and that imaginary state seems quite likely to stay imaginary. Furthermore they seem to be quite unable to picture how a gun might serve them rather than threatening them. Since only the cops and the bad guys have guns on TV, that must be how the real world operates...

Wouldn't it make sense to concentrate your strategies on situations that actually might happen? Of course, if your government won't let you defend yourself, maybe your time actually is better spent rationalizing why that is somehow A Good Thing. even though as far as I can see, it isn't.

Last edited by MaggieL; 02-06-2007 at 10:43 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote