View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Oh, do tell. So you had green eggs, green ham, and neither were the result of food coloring? You're still alive?

You can't NOT tell.
Oh okay...remember you asked…

I used to serve in the US Submarine Service. Mind you subs can’t get fresh supplies at sea, so once milk, eggs, fresh fruit, veggies, etc are gone, that is it. So after 2-4 weeks at sea you tend to get to the very last of the items that were once fresh. Since we store the eggs in the bilge which is somewhat cool, eggs make it close to 4 weeks. When I say close, it’s all relative and perspective…with no other eggs headed your way for another 5-6 weeks, even old eggs sound good. So by week 4, eggs and old ham tend to take on a rather ominous green sheen. If you cook them long enough and cover it all in Tabasco, they go down fine. Since we have been eating eggs and other items over time as they get old, we seem to build up a tolerance to whatever bacteria colony they are growing. Wished I had pictures, it was truly a sight to see when the Navy cook slaps it on the plate and shoves it at you!
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote